CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Existentialist 5 year old

My first blog entry from 2 years ago on Myspace...I like it, so I'm copying it here.

The joys of having a five year old. Big has always been too smart for his own good. Some days like today, I feel he is too smart for my own good! He has come full fledged into the "question" phase of his young life. He has asked me "normal" questions like "Why is the sky blue?", "Why can't I get everything I want?" and of course "How did the baby get in your tummy?" He has also asked me such gems as "Why do people have to die?" "Why are we alive?", "How can I talk to God?" and "Why doesn't he talk back?"

Yesterday he asked me another fantastic Big-ism. We were sitting at the table when he looked over at me and said--

"Mommy, what if this is all just a big dream?"

I said "What if what is a big dream?"

He replied, "This...everything around us...what if this is all just one big long dream?"

My response...I said "That would be pretty neat wouldn't it--"

Then he cut me off and said "Well, I don't think it is a dream, there is too much real stuff here, stuff I can feel and touch."

Hmmm...perhaps he's to be a Paleontologist...or perhaps an Existential Philosopher.

This was all of course after we got into a squabble b/c he asked me to help him spell a word, and midway through the word, forgot what word he was trying to write and forgot why he was writing it! (For the record...the word was THINK)

The joys of motherhood, cleaning a poopy butt one minute, contemplating the meaning of life the next.

Angela

0 comments: